Friday, January 8, 2010

My Day Off


Yeah for snow days! I love being a teacher. I love being a mom even more which makes snow days that much sweeter. Not only do I get to stay home from "work" I get to spend time with my kiddos.
During my youngest child's morning nap I got inspired and worked on a very short project. I was visiting some of my favorite "make-stuff" blogs. You can find them on the right side of the screen under "my blog list." I had this old sweater that has been in the "good will" box forever and I just didn't know if I really wanted to get rid of it or not. It didn't fit me right so I knew I would never wear it. Well, I had an idea after looking at the other blogs. Here it is.

I cut the sleeves off first. I turned up the wrist end and sewed it. I turned in the upper end and sewed elastic around it. I haven't sewn with elastic for a while so I don't think I did it the best way but it'll work. And there it was . . . leggings. Sometimes Elaina doesn't want to wear the stuff I make for her :( but she liked these.
Then I got another idea! The leggings kept slipping down and I thought. . . leg warmers! So I pinned an adorable crocheted flower a friend made me (handmade baby gifts link under blog list) just below the knee. CUTE! I don't know why I think these are so cute but I just love them. Total time invested? 18 minutes! Can you believe it? It took me longer to post this than make the leggings if you can believe that.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Shea, what a neat idea! And they look really good.

    I love "Make it and Love It" too. Wish I could sew.

    Now take the rest of that sweater and make it a pillow cover...I've seen a lot of people do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I haven't even thought of that. I've been thinking though. . . "what can I do with the rest of this sweater." Now I know what I think I'm going to do. And how easy is that going to be!!! Angie, I thought I couldn't sew either (I'm a true beginner) about 4 years ago I found one at a garage sale. She was close to pulling everything in and closing, but I was still looking around. I found it and she had I think $10.00 on it. I also ask people if they'll take less if I'm not sure that I'll use it, so I did. She said, Oh yes $5.00 or just take it. So I gave her $5.00 and took it. I didn't use it for a long time, but decided to give it a try one day. I've used it a ton and love it. I can't figure out how to use all the settings b/c it didn't come with instructions, but one of these days I'm going to buy another and make sure there are instructions.

    ReplyDelete